My granny used to knit and crochet all the time and at some point she knitted two topsy turvy dolls. One for me and the other to sit on her sofa. I re-found one of them the other day and she was in quite a state with loose threads and matted hair. Then I had a brainwave. I decided to make my own topsy turvy doll but rather than knitting it (beacause that is not a skill I posess) I decide to hand sew one. My creation resulted in Ruby and Carmel!
They are approximately 18cm high. Ruby is the brunette. Carmel is the blonde. Carmel is wearing a Liberty print top with a blue cotton skirt and a gold cumberband. Ruby is also wearing a Liberty Top with Black net details. She is also wearing a cotton skirt but hers is black with a net overlay. I don’t know why but Ruby reminds me of Kate Winslet in Tiatanic. Don’t ask why I’m not sure myself! Their hair is made from wool which I applied in the traditional method sewing onto a bias strip. I embroidered their faces.
I was really chuffed with the final result. Theses are some of the most adorable toys I think I have made to date but I’m really annoyed because I never made a pattern!
I think I am gong to make another pair but this time with a steampunk theme.
I have never been that interested in all those little squares and hexagons in fact I thought that they looked rather dull and tedious.
However we have found a solution to all those dull fabric shapes……..
We found this fabric (the brown backing fabric) at the Ragmarket in Birmingham. They were selling it for £1 a metre and we believe the fabric was originally produced to create the barber/hunting jackets which some people are really keen on.
The fabric naturally had a criss-cross patern on it.
I sewed the metre of fabric to a metre remnant – right sides together. I turned it the right way around and stitched up the gap. I then top-stitched a hem. And looking at the brown side I stitched along every other diagnol creating a larger criss-cross pattern.
This quilt is really easy to make and with just a metre of both fabrics you can create a small quilt which is the perfect size for the bottom half of a single bed.
Only thing I would say is that the brown fabric I used was quite slippery and has a tendency to slide off the duvet.